Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Trying to save more money this year.

Well, I got bills today.  I just can't believe the price of my Comcast bill.  I just downgraded my cable package to save money and it is still over $150 a month. It is better than the $180 I was paying but still crazy.

Because of this CRAZY COST I have been researching "Magic Jack."  I think I might get that for $39.95 a year I get phone service through my computers USB port.  I leave my computer on all day anyway so why not?  At night when I don't want calls anymore I turn it off.  If there is an emergancy people can call Matt's cell phone.  Matt's phone is never shut off. 

Next thing I have to look into is how much that would save me.  So let me see...

Triple-play package we have before taxes, box rentals, etc is $114.99
if I downgrade to
Double-play package it would be $79.99
that would save us $35.00 a month or $420 a year.
That doesn't sound bad to me.  I think I am going to order the magic jack and see if it works good for us and cancel the comcast phone service.

My PSEG bill came today.  Last month after my heartache reaction of a $352 electric and gas bill I decided I needed to do something.  The thermastat got lowered from 72 to 68 degrees.  My hubby wasn't happy the days he was home. He got over it, after I bought him a portable heater.  The meter man came last week and I was kind of wondering what difference it would make.  Well today I opened up and was somewhat happy with the results.  The bill is $298.  This month I am going to make a better effort on unplugging all my appliances that I am not using, when we leave for a few days unplug the TVs and cable boxes, etc.

I by discount produce from the reduced isle, I always check the "dented" can isle first before doing my regular shopping.  I go to the market on wednesdays, that is the mark-down meat day for the store I shop mos, and by packages of meat, chicken and fish that are marked down 50%  and $2 or more.

I plan to plant a lot more vegetable plants this year.  With more tomatoes I can make my own sauce, salsa, etc.  Growing my own cucumbers saves LOTS of money when the price of each cucumber at the grocery store is 75c - $1.  Growing my own herbs will save $$$ all year since I can dry and freeze to use year round.
When we moved into this house there was a large squared off garden area with wonderful topsoil I have been shoveling into pots the last couple years.  This has been saving me a lot on not having to buy potting soil.

Another way I plan to save money is by turning in more Coke Reward codes.  I try to pick up the lids when I am at skate parks or walking the dogs.  More outdoor skateparks = more soda bottle trash.  I pick up the empty bottles take the lids and toss the bottle in the recycling bins.  For every 24 points I get a coupon for a free 20oz bottle, each bottle cap is worth 3 reward points.

Answer more MYPOINTS emails and surveys (check out the link in the sidebar).  I got $300 in gift cards last year.  I plan to get more points which means more gift cards.  I like getting CVS, Walgreens, Burger King, Gamestop and Target cards.  I then use them for grocery shopping or give them as gifts on peoples birthdays which is a great money saver.

Make sure all my shopper club cards like Shoprite, SuperFresh, Acme are updated online and check every week for the internet club card coupons.  I love these - you download the coupon to your card and when you buy that item you get the stated amount off.  These can be used along with MFG coupons for extra savings.

Turn in more REBATES and use more coupons when shopping.  Shop special sales for extra savings like Kohls cash, CVS Extracare Bucks, Walgreens Register Rewards, etc.

My next post will be filled with rebate links so be sure to check it out.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I was upset that our electric bill hit the $200 mark for the first time! I didn't know that the MyPoints really worked! I'm going to be better about doing that. I also want to work on a veggie garden. For someone with NO green thumb, this will be a challenge. I am going to buy some dirt this week so I can plant some seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on starting your first blog! I LOVE blogging. It is a great way to share all of your tips and ideas and even just vent a little.

    BTW, I would love to help you "pretty up" your blog! Would you be interested in a custom header graphic and maybe a nice layout design to match?

    Check out my portfolio of blog & website headers: http://dpk-graphicdesign.com/graphic-design-portfolio/19

    Shoot me an email with some of your ideas such as colors, title / tagline, images to include, etc. It is the least I can do for you being such a great friend.

    My email is: Dawn@DPK-GraphicDesign.com

    ReplyDelete

Be sure to share your ideas and thoughts. I am always open to new ideas on how to better do and accomplish things.