Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Valentine

Most people do it up for V. Day.  Well for the last 12 or so years it is not really a possible thing for my family.  We have a tendancy to be seperated a lot, Matt with work and I have a tendancy to get pneumonia in the winter and end up in the hospital.  Matt did give me a great "gift" though.  He called me while in Utah after spending a few days with clients and their spouses.  He apologized for all he puts me through.  He realized after seeing other couples that I really do - do everything for him and John.  He just takes it for granted and doesn't recognize my contribution to the family.  I could only imagine what he saw??

His clients couldn't believe he was flying home and in less then 10 hours he would be on a plane to India.  How could he even get ready?  "Terry, of course," he said.  The clients were shocked that I always had his next trip packed and ready for him to go.  No other wife does that (well in that group at least) and they are all "traveling men."  They were also shocked that I did all the cooking, bill paying, yard work, small electical work, plumbing, kids homework projects, everything.  It took a weekend away with other couples for him to realize I am a good wife and we have a good child. We also have 2 ok dogs.

So no, I don't get flowers.  I put an end to that the first year after I had a huge Asthma attack smelling 3 dozen roses in the apartment.  I have more jewelry than I could need or want.  We do love each other (we do aggrevate eachother also) and learned that being nice, respectfull and loving along with just being together is enough of a gift either of us need.

--------------------------------

Matt arrived about 12 o'clock midnight last night.  I had his winter Utah clothes dumped out of the suitcase and placed his already folded and ready to go clothes for his India, Singapore and Dubia (not sure of spellings) business trip.  As he was sitting in his 1st class seat looking at his menu choices, his boss told him he needs to be in Bahamas the day after they get back to NJ.  Matt jumped on his cell and said, "Terry we are all going to the Bahamas."  Wow, a free trip to the Bahamas.  Johnny and I haven't been there in about 6 years.  I guess that is one of the nice perks about all his traveling we sometimes get to tag along as a whole family.  I need a break from all this cold and snow.

As I think back, Matt got out of the military so he wouldn't have to travel and be away from the family so much.  It is funny how things happen.  A few months after his military employment he went to CDL truck driving school got a job cleaning out oil tanks.  One year later gets a job as a Lab Tech a few months after being a tech they promote him to Manager... and the rest is history.  It is a funny thing how if you are a hard worker and have a good head on your shoulders you can go far in the Oil industry.  One of our good friends who also is former military who started out with no College degree and started working for a Pennsylvania company.  As the owner of that company George Warren got older he turned the company over to Tom.  Tom is now the owner of the 6th largest company in Florida.  George E. Warren. and is worth Millions.  He also owns the largest chain of hotels in that state as well. 

The one thing Tom finds funny is that like me his wife sits down every Sunday and clips those coupons.  She is a huge coupon and discount shopper.  Carol says when they got married years ago and didn't have much she started using coupons and has never stopped.  I tell Matt see there is a method to our madness - we can't let go of a dollar without a good reason.  Every 30c or 50c coupon adds up.  Those extra dollars end up being more we can invest in our and our childrens future.

Well that is all I have to say at the moment.  My little boy is starting to talk in his sleep again I better make sure he is ok.

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! I'm so glad for you that Matt saw what a treasure he has at home. Sometimes it takes some time away for others to really appreciate what they have. I couldn't be happier for you!

    ReplyDelete

Be sure to share your ideas and thoughts. I am always open to new ideas on how to better do and accomplish things.